Saturday, May 21, 2011

SPRING MOUNTAIN NEVADA---MAY--2011

With me now living in Las Vegas,NV I decided to go chase down some native Lahontan cutthroat trout in a stream about 1-1/2 hours outside of town. Its hard to believe you can go from Vegas lights to a awesome area like this in such a short time!

This creek is spring feed and therefore stays cold enough year around for this beautiful Lahontan trout to thrive!

What a phenomenal little gem of a creek this is!

I caught all the fish off hopper/dry fly, you had to pick your casting lanes very well; tight quarters all the way up this creek!

These fish are just a great breed of trout! There seemed to be around 8 to 10 trout that were feeding in each pool, some pools I was able to be stealthy enough to pull 6 or 7 out.

This was another great day trip catching wild finicky trout!

4 comments:

  1. Wow I'm just starting out fly fishing and live in vegas can you email me some directions please? mnorman81@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time, was it a far hike?

    I am planning on heading out to Bishop and lone pine for some golden trout. I will let you know where the hot spots are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually there is no hike involved, just a drive that takes 1-1/2 hours to go 10 miles...LOL...Are you from LV?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in North LV and usually head up to UT near mammoth when the wife lets me out of the house. I think it is great you found something local...and even better that the fish look to be doing well. Was this on the west side? I am looking to hit Lees Ferry once the temps come down. Have you fished it yet?

    BTW great job up in Fishlake, southern UT is great for there endless supply of small streams and absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete